Thursday, June 21, 2012

Remote Control Car Conversion

As per the Critter Crunch rules, my remote control robot has to operate on at least two frequencies. This means that I have to be able to control the robot on two different remote control channels. The reason for this is to prevent me from accidentally controlling some one else's robot and vice versa.
That would be bad.

HRC160240 Hitec Optic 5 2.4 Channel 2.4 GHz RadioSo, I had to figure out how I was going to create a robot that I could control on two separate channels. This was a problem. A remote control system that operates on more than one channel can cost upwards of $100. Not good. I'm not comfortable with spending that much for only one part of the car. With twelve different life pursuits to accomplish success in, I have to be as thrifty as possible. Therefore, I had to improvise. What can you do when you don't have money to buy a multi channel controller? Buy two separate remote controlled cars, who operate on two different frequencies, then blend them together into one battle robot.

On this train of thought, I entered Wal-Mart today. Fortunately, it was my lucky day. Wal-Mart was running a special on a large remote control ATV:
I picked up two of them, one operating on one frequency, and one on another. Once I got home, I took them out of their respective packaging. It would have been great to use them as is, but the Critter Crunch rules specifically state that the battle robot must fit into a 12" by 12" by 12" cube. I had to make these r/c ATVs smaller. So I did:
First, I removed the ATV driver. Then, after some measurements, I realized I'd have to remove some more. I took my cutters to the frame again. The end result is above on the right. At this size, one of the ATVs stood at a mere three inches tall. Perfect, because now I will be able to move onto phase 2:
Combining the two r/c crafts into one awesome battle robot.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here...

Total Pageviews